Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Introduction

This blog will be documenting my progress while researching Ancient Roman funeral and burial practices for a class at Southeast Missouri State University. If you are not involved in the class and have stumbled across this blog by chance below is an excerpt from our class website outlining the project.

"Finally, this course requires that students demonstrate the ability to carry out sophisticated interdisciplinary research and present it in a clear and engaging format. You will complete and present your research through the course Death and Dying Research Project and Blog. For this project you will choose an issue or topic relevant to death and dying. You will research that topic over the course of the semester, going beyond the surface-level information that you might get from easily accessible Internet sources. You will become an expert on your topic. You will present your new-found knowledge to me and your fellow students by compiling a digital portfolio of your research, conveying the highlights of your research on a blog, and a
developing and sharing a final presentation."
 
For me developing my research project was a fairly complicated process. There are so many different topics that are relevant to death and dying that I was immediately overwhelmed and had to e-mail the professor several times for advice on how to start. So, after thinking about it for a while, I came up with a few topics that I have been interested in lately but then realized that the topics did not relate to the subject matter very well.  After giving it a few days I thought about the project again and decided that I wanted to do something on another culture. From there I narrowed it down to two possibles: Ancient Roman or Ancient Chinese funeral and burial practices. The decision between the two was easy after searching both topics in Kent Library's (our university library) database. The results for Ancient Chinese funerals/burials were very limited while the search for Ancient Roman funeral/burial came up with several hundred results. It made sense when I thought about how private China is and they are not big on information sharing. With my topic selected and approved it was time to begin this blog.

Please feel free to follow my progress through the semester as I further explore the subject and hopefully come out an expert.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Caira!
    My name is Miranda and I am also in the Death and Dying class at SEMO. I find your blog topic very interesting and am looking forward to reading your posts. If you don't mind, I might copy your idea of creating an introduction so people know why I am blogging about death!
    My blog topic is actually the example that Ms. Hosselkus used in the project guideline; gravestones of colonial New England. I haven't made any posts yet, but you can check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Topic. I look forward to your adventure in this topic. I hope to see you break down social groups when discussing practices. As we just learned in Aries' work they did not bury their dead in the city. That must make research interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caira, I really like the way you set up your blog. And You chose a very good topic for it as well. Ancient Roman funeral and burial practices seems really interesting. I do not think you can really go wrong with doing research over another culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good start. I like your way of approaching the blog. Good that you are thinking about how to pace your research and how to present it. Good, also, that you are citing your sources. Continue to do that.

    ReplyDelete